Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hello Readers and Bloggers!

Ok, so I should have learned by now to "never say never."  Not too many weeks ago, I told my husband I wouldn't have anything to talk about on a blog.  And, now, here I am ... starting a blog about books.  As much as I like to talk in person, of course there's something for me to talk about on a blog!  I really should have known better.  Anyway, I would like to welcome you to my blog about everything reading related!

I have been a book lover since I before I could actually read the words myself.  When I was a little girl, my mom would take me to the public library to check out as many books as we could carry home.  She would read to me for hours.  My dad would read to me using all kinds of crazy voices, sometimes acting out the characters, bringing the story to life for me.  Later, when I could read on my own, I would literally lose myself in stories.  People would talk to me and I wouldn't hear them because I was so involved in the story.  I wouldn't want to stop until I'd finished the story either.  Sometimes I would read for hours at a time, late into the night.  (On rare occasions, I still do this).

Now that I'm grown and have children of my own, I share my love of reading with them.  We read aloud stories together.  We listen to audiobooks in the car on trips.  We talk about books we are reading on our own.  We give each other books as gifts.    We watch movies based on books and discuss how well they match up to the book.

I also like to share my love of reading with my students.  Read aloud is my favorite time of the day.  I like to use goofy voices for the characters like my dad did.  As a teacher, I love seeing my students lost in a good story together - a community of readers.

This leads me to why I started this blog.  I would like to build a community of readers here in cyberspace (on the internet).  I hope my library will be a place where people who love books and people who just haven't met the right book yet can come together and share about what we are reading.  I plan to talk about what I'm reading and post links to author websites and any other cool reading related stuff I can think of.  I'd love to hear from you about what you are reading.  So, pull up a chair, grab a book, and let's read together...

No comments:

Post a Comment