Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Starting a New Adventure

lost-hero-book.jpg
My son has been nagging me to read The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan since he finished it after Christmas.  Well, okay, so he hasn't been nagging exactly.  He just told me I had to read it because it was really good.  I've read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series (also by Mr. Riordan) and LOVED every book.  I mean really LOVED them.  Books capture my interest based on how attached I get to the characters and the characters in this series were great fun.  These books are on my top ten list of favorite books of all time.  I have also read and enjoyed other books by Mr. Riordan - The Red Pyramid & The Maze of Bones (39 Clues series - Book 1).  So, you would think I would be dying to read The Lost Hero.  But, I've been feeling somewhat apathetic (not excited - lack of feeling) towards reading it.  I'm not sure why.  

However, I've finally decided to take his recommendation (along with the recommendation of 3 of my students) and jump into the book.  So far, so good.  You've got to like a book that opens with "Even before he got electrocuted, Jason was having a rotten day."  Great first line.  I'm always telling my students to jump right into the action when they write and Rick Riordan is a master at this.  

A few interesting tidbits on Mr. Riordan - he was a teacher!  (I knew I liked him).  He taught history in middle school.  He earned a Master Teacher award from his school - very cool (ok, so it's cool in the teacher world).  He also has a pretty cool website which you should check out here.  

Well, that's it for now.  I'm dying to get back into the story before it gets too late and I have to go to sleep.  So, I'll leave you with a few questions:  Have you read this book?  Have you read any of Mr. Riordan's books?  Which ones?  Like? Dislike?  Why?  

~Mrs. H



5 comments:

  1. No, i haven't read this book. But have been eying it for awhile... I have read the first book in the Percy Jackson Series. I like this book a lot because it is way better than the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the first book is SO much better than the movie. The movie was ok but it doesn't even compare to the stories. You should read the rest of the series though before you read The Last Hero. If you liked the first one, you'll love the rest of the series. You really get to know the other characters and the ending is VERY cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also read the first book. In my head the characters were better. In the movie the characters were way off of what i was thinking

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were quite a bit different than I was thinking as well, especially Annabeth. My kids were very upset with her hair color. :-)

    ReplyDelete